Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Little Chef to Be


As a mother to a boy, I want to teach my son the art of cooking. To the Future Mrs. Young--You're welcome!"

Already baby boy is showing signs of wanting to learn how to cook. Well, okay, the truth is usually while I am cooking he is in "I need my Mama" mode so I try to keep him close by.  I have become very talented in cooking with one arm and not to mention my left arm is getting a much needed workout.


See how smart he is?  Already he knows the difference between a tablespoon & teaspoon.  Emeril Lagasse-watch out! Andrew is going to take over your empire one day. :)

And here is an easy recipe from my favorite cookbook "Southern Livings Easy Weeknight Favorites."

Weeknight Enchiladas


1 lb ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped (I use the frozen chopped onions)
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup, diluted
8 (7 or 8 inch flour tortillas)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Sour Cream (optional)
Sliced ripe olives (optional)
I added Cumin and Chili Pepper to taste

Cook beef & onion in a large skillet over medium-heat until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain and return to skillet. 
Stir soup and enchilada sauce into meat mixture.  Spread 1/4 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; sprinkle tortillas evenly with 1 cup cheese.  Roll up tortillas; place seam side down, in a greased 13-x 9-x 2 inch baking dish.  Pour remaining meat mixture over tortillas. 
Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and olives, if desired.  Yield: 4 servings