Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hanging in Granny's Chair



If you have read the blog for any link of time, you know I had a very special relationship with my grandmother, Granny Bonner.  Many nights during the Positive Plus Sign journey, I would spend the night at my grandparent's place.  I will cherish these memories for as long as I live--it was a special time & I think because we were in the waiting period the memories are cherished all the more.  During the past 10 months, there have been many moments where I have had to choose joy because her presence is greatly missed & never had the chance to meet our precious son.  I can still see her face the day I told her I was pregnant and again the day she felt Andrew kicking in my belly.  Sweet. Sweet memories.

The other day, my Aunt Karen came to pick up Andrew for the afternoon. (Those two are the best of friends and most Sunday's after church, he reaches for her rather than me.)  I hadn't looked at Karen's photos until today and I found this sweet gem.  My son, hanging in Granny's chair.  Many of my fondest memories with Granny took place with her sitting in that chair.  I can see her wagging her finger at us while she told a funny story (and no one had the heart to tell her we had heard that same story time & time again).  It's the chair we watched Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune & old game show reruns on GSN.  It's the chair she allowed me to pretend I was a small child (although by this point, I could see the top of her head when standing side by side) sit in her lap and Granny would say breathlessly, "Not on my lap, on the arm because you have a bony butt, Girl!"  And we would laugh while I got up and she would spank my bee-hind as I walked away and say "What am I going to do with you child!"  

Yep. I had a moment today looking at that sweet picture of my long awaited son, sitting in his Granny's chair.  Oh, they would have been the best of friends.  And yet, I praise God knowing she is in a better place--no longer having to struggle to breath and playing God only knows what kind of card games with her sisters.  And something tells me she & Uncle Miller may have had a few bets on the Dallas Maverick game.  And you know what else? I think she saw that boy sitting in her chair & I think she loved every minute! In fact she probably was saying as she threw her head back in laughter "Get that boy up off that chair--he has a bony butt, just like his mama!"