Friday, March 4, 2011
Well...we survived our first sick day (or two)
I choose to believe that the worst is behind us, although I have been up for an hour attending to our youngest patient. Poor kid is having a hard time breathing and HATES the Baby Saline Spray with a passion. He pushed the bottle away from me today before I even took the top off. Smart, stubborn kid of mine.
I knew that this day would come eventually... (Jeff & I are thankful that he is almost 7 months old and this is his first time being sick.) ...and I knew when this day did come I would have to pull on my big girl panties and just deal with it. "You're a mom now, Susan. You just have to make it work." That was just a little portion of the pep talk I gave myself yesterday at 4 am, sitting in the steamy bathroom, screaming child on my lap who had a fever of 102 and was coughing like he had been smoking for years. Woo-ee, it was rough! But doesn't most things look worse that what they are in the wee small hours of the morning? Let's just say I went to a whole new level of anxiety that I did not think possible last night. Yet as I was sitting on the toilet, rocking and crying with Andrew I had a peace come over me that I have never felt as strongly as I did last night. I knew God was with me and I was so thankful to have that sense that He was there comforting me & everything would be fine.
I would like to also give a shout out to Dr. K, her nursing staff and my sister in law Missy who helped a first time mom feel more confident in her abilities to nurse her baby back to health. I also want to say thanks to my mom who offered to bring Sonic and Benedryll during her lunch break. I called her off but am hoping she will come by today so mom can get a nap (hint, hint) And to Jeff who I know would have stayed with me, if it wasn't for the fact he had to teach a training shift. I have a wonderful support system.
And to Grandpa Johnson---we are sorry your grandson passed the junk to you when you came to visit this week. It still amazes me that Jeff & I have yet to catch it but you are here for a few hours and down for the count the next day. Poor Grandpa!
Oh & just so you know, this picture was not taken the past two days. This was from a few weeks ago and it was too cute not to share. I didn't want someone to make a comment about how sick he looks when in this picture he was as healthy as they come. That sure would have been funny if you did, though!