Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Home Project: Hall Bath Redo



When Jeff told me "I just bought myself a one way ticket to repainting the bathroom" after I used the wrong color touch up paint in our hall bath, I saw this more as a blessing than a curse.  I have been itching to redo this bathroom since we moved in.  But seeing as how I was eight months pregnant and could not bend over long enough to paint around the toilet I decided to hold off until after the birth of our firstborn child.

My friend and I have this joke we like to say often to each other.  When we come across a good bargain we say, "This is proof that God loves us."  Recently God showed me how much he loved me when the shower curtain I have been eyeing for this bathroom went on sale for 60% off.  SCORE!

I had the design planned out in my head but I have come to find in other home decor projects it's best to 1) have a visual representation of my plan to show Jeff or 2) do the project while he is at work or sleeping.  I went with plan number one the other night (because I am a GOOD WIFE) and now we have got the ball rolling on the hall bathroom redo project.  Jeff has been wanting to find a place for his beloved travel poster (as seen above) and honestly I vetoed it the first go round.  (I may or may not be holding a grudge from the school house lamp that he x-nayed last week.)  After much thought and another friend of mine saying "That would be so cool in a boy's bathroom."  I jumped fully on board with adding it to the decor scheme.  As you can see from the Pottery Barn inspiration that I am going for a dark, swanky hotel kind of vibe.  And friends, I love Pottery Barn to pieces but I can not justify spending the amount they charge on lighting fixtures, especially when I can ALWAYS find a similar, if not exact replica at the local hardware store.  The moral of that tidbit of information is this:  do not be afraid to do a little bit of research/leg work because 90% of the time you can find a very close match at much lower cost.

So next week may be hit or miss on the blog posts because my nights are going to be spent painting the bathroom one wall at a time.  I can't wait to see how it will all look in the end & I promise I will show you pictures when finished.

Wish me luck!!