| August 18, 2010 |
The picture above was taken the first day we brought Andrew home. His poor little body didn't even touch the crib. I originally bought this pillow to help during the newborn stage because I wanted to eliminate the Pack & Play to crib transition by never even introducing the Pack & Play. Yes, that's right, Andrew has slept in his own room since we brought him home from the hospital. What I thought would only last a few weeks ended up staying with us for almost eight months. He fell in love with this pillow & wouldn't fall asleep without it. The benefit for us was that we could lay him down anywhere as long as we had his pillow wedge & his friend Bun-Bun the Friendly Bunny.
I tried off and on for the past few months to eliminate this trusty wedge. It was starting to look worn out and no amount of washing would help bring it back to it's original sheen. After many attempts to get him to sleep without his favorite companion, I gave up and decided this would be one of those choose your battles sort of things. I should have know last month when he woke one morning after using his wedge to prop up his feet that the day was fast approaching for us to naturally say goodbye. During his Saturday morning nap, I found him spooning the side of his pillow rather than sleeping on it. While he was still sleeping I pulled the pillow from the bed and have not put it in the bed since. At his afternoon nap that day, I put a sleep wedge in the bed when he was showing no signs of falling asleep. That didn't last either because I found that wedge thrown at the opposite end of the bed when he woke up.
| April 9, 2011 |
The past two days, he has slept without the pillow wedge and seems to be doing very well. Although it does take him a bit longer to fall asleep because of his new found freedom. I find myself peeking in on him more just to see what sleep position I will find him in next. You just never know which way he will be turned and it fascinates me to see all the different positions this kid can come up with (most totally uncomfortable to me).
(Please no one tell me it's time for the bumper pads to go as well :) I assure you that is already in the works. )
For memory keeping sake, here is a collage of Andrew & his pillow wedge, it's been a good eight months and this mama is sad to see you go. If it wasn't so late, I would do a slide show and have Kenny Rogers sing "Through the Years" in honor of Andrew's love for the pillow wedge but even I know when to draw the line. Now let's see if you don't sing this the next few hours, I have had it stuck in my head ever since I typed the words, through, the year.
"Through the years, you've never let me down, You turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found, I've found with you ... "
So Long Old, Friend! We will miss you but we sure did enjoy your company while you stayed.
