Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mommy's Little Sidekick


The Man of the House has been working crazy long hours this month and so Andrew and I have tried very hard to not grumble about missing the "glue that hold us together" but focus on making memories.

One night I looked at the clock and thought to myself, "It's only 5 o'clock?!?" that was the night we put on our aprons and baked a few cookies.  We have gone to the park quite a bit & the little guy has been my Mickey Goldmill (Rocky's trainer) as I train for my first Cowtown race.  I am doing the couch to 5K program and I set the phone in the tray on the stroller and turn up the volume so we both can hear the lady give us our running orders.  I have a love/hate relationship with lady's voice  (a.k.a voice of death).  Each time she says "Start running" Andrew cheers me on and says "go, go, go!"    I don't hate her as much when Andrew is with me because she makes my son laugh.  But when it's just the two of us, I call her every name in the book until she says, "Great job, you have completed today's run" And then I could just kiss her.

I have also started to teach him to do chores with me.  He loves to wash the dishes and he controls the spray nozzle while I rinse off the plates to put in the dishwasher.  Then while I clean up the rest of the kitchen, he plays scoops and pours while we listen to music.  The kid and I work well together, yes it takes triple the time it would if it was just me doing it but he loves it and it's one less time I have to sit through the 1966 Batman movie. 

Thankfully the sweet memories we are creating help dull the pain of not seeing the Man much if any during the week.