Friday, March 1, 2013
Cowtown 2013
this is me, pulling on my flexible pants. I had big plans of having my boys share this journey with me & standing at the finish line. and in their defense, they would have been there but my mama instincts overruled my original plan when the morning temperature was 27 degrees. so my husband grabbed the camera and shot the above before i left the house. i love him for that.
the 35th Cowtown was my first race to run. I decided that when I turned 35 that I wanted to challenge myself & so I chose to run. it turned out to be a nice surprise that this was also the 35th year of the Cowtown Marathon.
when the race started, we kicked off the run to the Rocky theme song. It was just the boost I needed because it's one of my favorites and I do like to refer to Andrew as my personal Mickey, the trainer. I loved the sound of multiple feet running with me. I loved seeing the crowds there to cheer us on. I loved hearing the other runners encourage one another. I loved running by one house during the mile #2 and having a guy stand in his lawn singing "You are my Sunshine" (again another song that made me think of my boys) I loved crossing that finish line 3 minutes ahead of my goal, calling my husband at home and saying "I did it." I loved the fatigue. I loved hearing the people congratulate each other and I loved the bag of food at the end. But most of all, I love that I set a goal & accomplished it.
Running has been very therapeutic for me. I will run more races and I will work to improve my time. And who knows maybe next year I will run the half marathon instead of a 5k.