Friday, March 14, 2014

Big Boy Undies


That's my kid wearing big boy undies to bed.

This week has been a big transition in our house. We said goodbye to diapers.  Let's just say that over the past year and a half we have tried to PT train Andrew. He wanted nothing and I mean NOTHING to do with it.  A few months ago, I asked him if he wanted to tee tee on potty.  He said with much gusto "Nope. My diaper is good." while slapping his hand on the side of his diaper.  

We let it go and waited.  This Christmas break we tried again.  Nothing but tears from both Mom & Son.  I then decided to wait until after the San Diego 2014 road trip.  We told him the plan weeks before.  He started to declare he wasn't going to San Diego.  When we asked why, his reply was because I'm not ready to tee tee.  We still didn't push and we said when your ready it will happen.  If I had a quarter for every time I declared "Tee tee on the potty ain't no big thang!"

So we got to San Diego & over the course of the week got very comfortable with "potty words". Oh man, he knows a bunch!  (Since coming home we made a rule that those words can only be said in bathroom.  Yes, it's my kid who runs and stands in the bathroom to recite his favorite word phrase, "poopy, caca, tee tee, poopy, tee tee, booty" ps who taught him Spanish cuss words?!?)

On our way home from SD 2014, I kept thinking this will be my last dirty diaper change on the road and them he would declare "I've got poops! Ver loudly, in crowded public places. Oh sweet mercy I was ready to be done!

Monday morning we got to work.  That first day was rough. I was texting two of my girlfriends, who were also in the ring, duking it out with their child.  Andrew wasn't having it that first day.  I put his little frog potty on the floor in living room and HE chose to sit there all morning .  I threw a goldfish cracker in the bowl and said "float that fish Andrew" I then headed to my office praying he would just do it already! Not two seconds later he yells "Mom , I floated the fish!"  Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Y'all I even learned to play a version of the Jeapordy theme song on his toy trumpet while waiting for him to tee tee.  Sweet mercy, I may have scarred him for life. Let's hope he isn't a contestant one day, he's liable to start wetting himself on national television. Or scream "that's my tee tee song !!" when he should be focusing on answering the big $ question. 

But slowly but surly we have survived Spring Break 2014- tee tee camp. He asked tonight if he could sleep in underwear, I hesitated but then threw on the waterproof mattress pad and said go for it. 

We will continue to take it one day at a time and savor the fact that unless The Lord surprises us with Baby #2, our diaper days are done. DONE.

 Fingers crossed he does well at school next week.